Wednesday, June 4, 2008

Getting to Know Your Neighbors

Today on HER Mastermind Network, Anything Goes Day Lisa Fredette (facilitator for Anything Goes Day) and Natalie Clegg had some interesting things to say about Getting to Know Our Neighbors and the question was posted "Do you hang out with your neighbors? Do you know their names, children's name and/or their story?" I thought I'd share what I wrote with you.

Let me tell you how I got to know my neighbors...

I have lived in the same neighborhood for 25+ years. We moved there when my youngest was 5 months old. My other two were 4 and 7.

Over the next 7 or so years I only met 2 or 3 neighbors and that's because they too had children around my girls' ages. We didn't "socialize or anything like that" the kids just played together. I only knew where they lived and that they were Mr. and Mrs. So and So.

In 1991 I got divorced and in 1993 my husband Timmy moved in. We didn't get married until 2005 but that's another story!

That changed my life for many reasons. My mother was ill and he helped me take care of her before she died and also helped with my girls. My oldest went to live with her father about that time (she was 15 and would not follow my rules so I sent her to him for straitening out - another story!). She came home again when she was 17.

Getting to the point... Timmy is one of those people who has never met a stranger, only new friends in the making. He is a sensitive, caring and giving man who loves to get to know about people and their lives. He has taught me a lot about human nature and our need for community. Prior to his arrival on the scene, I didn't even "turn left" in our community. I only "turned right" and that was to go to work, take the kids to school, shop etc. He taught me to "turn left" into our community, to take walks, to talk with neighbors and to BE a neighbor.

Today we know just about everyone in the 42 home community and we spend time with many of them. There are families that we see almost every weekend, hang out, have barbeques, ride the golf cart with and just have fun. Once a year at New Years one of the neighbors has a big party and invites the whole neighborhood. We have progressive Dinners, take care of one another's animals when someone goes out of town, watches for "strangers" who come around and really care about one another.

We have celebrated the good times, the not so good, helped one another clean up yards and fix homes when hurricanes struck and so much more.

"Turning Left" has been one of the most important decisions I personally have made. I love the neighborhood, and its mainly because of the people who live there! Everyone should be so lucky.

And this got me thinking of how much we care for our NETWORK... the people we meet and get to know. The same principles of community apply here. They are:

To Celebrate the Good Times

Be present for the Not so Good times

Help One Another

Stay in Touch

... and basically be a support system of encouragement, information and energy. Sometimes all it takes is lending an ear, other times it might be more than that.

If you have ever been through a natural disaster or loss you have seen this in action. People pitch in to help one another get their lives back in some sort of order. Whether it be a bad storm, a hurricane, an earthquake, death, loss of job, we tend to be there for those times when we are really needed.

My question to you, are you there for the times when it is not as obvious how much you may be needed?

Today might be a good day to "turn left," (pick up the phone and reach out to someone in your network you have not connected with in a long time). The response and what follows may surprise you!

I'd like to hear what happens so be sure and let me know.

Have a wonderful day... and then some,

Heidi

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Sometimes those who live closest to us get the least of our attention. Thanks for that important reminder that community is a priceless part of our lives!

Anonymous said...

This is an outstanding post. I believe Timmy has opened a new world for you, just as my Charles did for me.

I am happy for you that you have found this sense of community and spirit.

Melodieann Whiteley said...

While I live far enough out in the "boonies" that I can't see my nearest neighbor there are still plenty of opportunities to "turn left". Church, school, volunteer groups, networking groups - all offer us a chance to connect with our neighbors. When my mom passed away very suddenly, it was my fellow Girl Scout volunteers who turned my office into a bedroom for my dad. What a relief for me and a welcome for him to walk into a home that was already prepared for him. And when my dad passed away recently, these same ladies quickly spread the word and organized a very moving tribute to him at the service. They all knew that he was always ashamed of the fact that he was never able to pass the physical for military service and so was the only member of his family never to serve. They gathered at his graveside to sing "Taps" for him as a tribute to his patriotism. Thanks, Heidi, for the reminder. If these ladies had not "turned left" and welcomed a "D&*MMed Yankee" and her crotchety old dad into their midst, our lives would have been much poorer. I think I'll make some phone calls - just to let them know I remember and appreciate them.

Heidi Richards Mooney, Founder Women in Ecommerce said...

THANK YOU Jacqueline, Pam and Melodieann for sharing our thoughts.

When you think about what we really have is each other... money and fame cannot buy us happiness but family and friends can!

I am so glad I got to know my neighbors and encourage everyone who hasn't yet, to do so. If you don't like your neighbors, maybe its time to move????

Heidi

Anonymous said...

What a beautiful article. You're right. Turning left can lead to the most wonderful opportunities. Thanks for sharing.

Anonymous said...

Heidi,

What a nice sentiment. We have moved around the country a number of times, and have had a whole book's worth of experiences good and bad!!

Yes, now with the technology, the internet is our neighborhood.