Friday, May 11, 2007

Learning From our Mothers

My mother taught me FORESIGHT..."Make sure you wear clean underwear, in case you're in an accident." Author Unknown


My mom died in 1993 of breast cancer after a 7 year battle. She was an amazing woman. I wrote a story about her called "my Mother the Star." She had many sayings but one she said alot was "life is tough, get over it." It seems like strange advice for a child, however I think it prepared me well to deal with life's adversities.

The only grandmother I knew was my hero. She loved unconditionally and emphatically. She was as loving as they come. Her favorite saying was "You attract more flies with Honey, than with vinegar." Usually she was saying that to my grandfather, whenever he had an unkind word to say about someone. It is funny, but I knew what she meant early on. This too has served me well in life.

My mother in law is one of the most amazing, accepting women on the planet. She has treated me like a daughter even before I was "legally" a part of her family (and my father in law too). I was married before and although my first mother in law was kind and sweet, I did not have the connection I do to this one. Mom Connie is a dream of a mother in law and one every woman should have. She is a 4 foot 11 Sicilian woman who is just a hoot. I never intended to get married again and just live in sin as they say. My husband and I have been together for 15+ years and we decided to honor his parents by getting married in 2005. You would have thought they won the lottery. Well, we all won the lottery, because now I am a part of a large loving family.I got the best mother's day gift this year.

My son-in-law (whom I call SON) sent me a message saying how much he loved me and appreciated me being his "Mom." My daughters still call me "mommy" (although I have told them it's okay to call me Mom) and my son asked me if he too could call me Mommy... not sure where that came from, but I told him he could call me whatever he wanted :). I guess that means he has learned something from me:).

My daughters have taught me patience (well, sort of) and the importance of a sense of humor, and so many things that I could write a book on the subject. I am so grateful that GOD gave me them to look after and to love.

If you ask me, I am the luckiest mother on the planet!

HAPPY MOTHER'S DAY TO ALL YOU MOMS, GRANDMOMS, MOTHER-IN-LAWS, MOTHER FIGURES AND MOM'S TO BE!

May your Mother's Day be a wonderful as mine... and then some.

Warmest regards,

Heidi

No comments: