Sunday, June 3, 2007

Whenever I feel the sun on my face, I know it is Alexis smiling at me and saying "I love you, Mommy."


I am a member of a number of social networking sites, including RYZE. The other day Val posted the following:

Sunkist is calling all kids, 7 to 12 years of age, across America to "Take a Stand" for their favorite charity. It's a rewarding way to squeeze some fun into summer and give back to the community. Here's the link:http://www.sunkist.com/takeastand/.

Last year and this, the program gave away 10,000 stands . Unfortunately all those free lemonade stands are gone! However, you can still purchase the stands for $25 each (including shipping).


I JUST PURCHASED MY STAND so my grandson and his friends can TAKE A STAND against Drug abuse in memory of my daughter Alexis who passed away in February of a drug overdose.

The money will go to Journey to Freedom, the last program she was in (October). Although she died of this dreadful disease, she had the chance to get to know about GOD in that program and for that I am grateful.

Here are some of the comments other network members made when I mentioned what my intentions were:

What a wonderful gift that will be not only to the organization but also to your grandson. It's very difficult to find a way to honor those we've loved. Your daughter certainly will be very proud of his tribute! I'm sure she'll let him know by some 'sign'--he'll just have to keep his eyes open for something that signified her being. It will be there. - Kristin

Heidi!! That is AWESOME...what a wonderful way to make others aware and not allow your daughters death to be in vain...Connor and Kendra did this last year...so we are just gonna use that stand and do it again this year!! They are super excited and have been asking me ALL winter when they can set up their Lemonade stand...LOL!! We are also going to be TAKING A STAND against Drug abuse...after speaking to Connor and Kendra we have decided to donate in your daughter, Alexis' name!! Thanks for sharing your story! - Val, The Passion Diva

I thought it would be a great thing to do with Devon and help him remember his Aunt Alexis. What I didn't expect was the love and support of the network members! It is amazing what a small message such as the one posted on RYZE can do for others. It's those small messages that can turn out to have a HUGE meaning for the readers. For me it certainly did.

Thank you Val and Kristen and the other members - and thank you Sunkist for helping kids TAKE A STAND for something meaningful.

Warmest regards,

Heidi





No comments: