Saturday, June 23, 2007

First Jobs... Conversation Starters

"Informal conversation is probably the oldest mechanism by which opinions on products and brands are developed, expressed, and spread." Johan Arndt


As an avid networker, one of the questions I often ask during conversations is what was (or is) the best job you have ever had? Learning about what others have done in their lives is a great way to create a stronger bond with that person.

I am also very interested in knowing how the person I am talking to chose their current career. Was it on purpose, by accident... did they just fall into it, other? It is amazing how much people are willing to share when you ask this and it's a great way to put you and the person you are talking to at ease. Another follow up question might be "And what job, business or career did you have prior to doing what you do today? Were you a stay at home mom (or are you now), did you work for someone else, did you totally change professions? "

Finding one or two key questions to ask helps put you and the person you are talking to at ease. And it works with for people at any level of the organizational pyramid. So here's my story (the readers digest version):

My first real job (not counting babysitting, housecleaning and ironing for working moms) was in a Fish and Chips place (I was a senior in High School). I was known for making cole slaw faster than anyone - and talking too much!

My second job was an office - I was a receptionist (Summer before college). Although the pay was better, (and I got to talk to everyone), I didn't much like that and decided it was not in my future. It occurred to me that if I ever did decide to work in an office again (which I have not since) it would be my own and it would be the corner office with a window :).

My third, fourth and fifth jobs were my freshman year of college - I worked at a car-wash on weekends, a department store 2 days a week (days off from school) and 3 nights a week worked the graveyard shift at a Jack in the Box! Sleep was something I treasured so I didn't have much of a life!

I got married my sophomore year, worked as a waitress in a Diner and then moved from California to Florida when my first husband got out of the Navy. We started buying rental property and for the next 7 or 8 years of my life I managed 21 rental units.

About that time, we bought a child care center and for almost 3 years I ran the center which was a 24/7 operation. Our best customers were nurses, taxicab drivers and exotic dancers :). We sold that in 1980 and for a short time I again ran the rental property business which then increased to 67 units.

We decided to start selling property and hired a management company to run the rest. I also worked part time for a friend who was an occupational therapist - I was an therapist assistant in training - it was not for me.

In 1981 we purchased my florist - Eden Florist & Gift Baskets and for the last 26 years I have been going there almost every day. I love the shop, my staff and my customers. However, retail has changed a lot over the years and I am getting a little bored with it.

In 2003 my partner (also my youngest daughter) and I started the Women's eCommerce Association, International which has evolved into the WECAI Network™. Each and every day is exciting! I love booting up the computer and meeting wonderful women (and men) from around the world). And let's not forget all the great technology - learning something new fills me up.

If you want to get really good at networking use these questions or come up with your own. Be a good interviewer. Ask open-ended questions to get people to "open up" and talk about themselves.

One of my favorite quotes is "people don't care how much you know until they know how much you care." Show them how much you care by asking Questions! So that's my story! There's more, but I think I've shared enough for now. It's your turn to answer those questions.


Heidi

No comments: