Monday, April 7, 2008

Clutter Distracts us From the Beauty in our Lives




On Fridays on HER Mastermind Network Ann Rusnak (The Time Diva) moderates Beauty, Books and Balance Day. Last Friday she talked about "Spring is the air... time to get rid of winter clutter. Clutter distracts us from the beauty in our lives." Ann asked the group to share our tips on decluttering and organizing.

Here's what I wrote:

"I don't know about the rest of you but I buy way too much makeup! and the funny thing is I hardly wear any. Mostly eye makeup because my eyelashes are so pale.

Recently I decided to go through that pile of makeup sitting under the sink. It was a good thing too! I found some beautiful eye-shadows I haven't used yet and some that I don't have any idea WHY I bought them.The first I put in my makeup drawer to start using and the second I got rid of. Unless they were new and never used I threw them out and the new stuff I am donating to Suited for Success in Miami.

I also have quite a collection of lipsticks - it seems I have a fettish for buying them (and putting them away to one day use). I try them on and find out they really aren't my shade.

How many of you have bought lipsticks only to find out they just were'nt you? I counted 37 that I will never use.You might say to yourself thats a lot of lipstick to throw out! When you figure the average lipstick costs anywhere from $5 - $9 each it comes out to about $250!

Here's my thoughts: When you get rid of those things like lipsticks, eyeshadow and even clothes you think you might one day fit into, you free up space in your closets, your cupboards or drawers and in your Mind. And I believe the space you are taking up in your mind might be the most important to release or unclutter.

The subconcious is a powerful thing - that which we hold onto takes away energy from things we could be concentrating on that will bring us positive rewards. Clutter causes overwhelm, anxiety and even depression. When you unclutter those things in your life taking up space you will find it amazing how much better you are able to concentrate and take on new tasks, learn new things, expand your mind. Try it and see for yourself!

The other benefit of getting rid of those things taking up space are all the other beautiful things you can put in their place. When I cleaned out my makeup, I went out and got a new facial microdermabrasian kit as a reward! Now all I have to do is open it and start using it :)

Have a great day... and more!

Heidi

1 comment:

KMA said...

Heidi,

I'm a lipstick collector too. I have one of those androgynous faces unfortunately and always feel as though I need to put on some make up to identify my gender--but then I go out forget all about the makeup till I catch a glance of myself in a window--"OH NO! YOU'RE THE PERSON MAKE UP WAS CREATED FOR!" Now if I can only remember to look at myself BEFORE I leave the house!

Kristin :-)