Wednesday, September 12, 2007

Email Time Management!

“Staying connected to email has become a lifestyle more than a choice these days… take back your right to choose and free yourself to do other important tasks.” Heidi Richards


Last post I wrote about being addicted to your inbox. You know you are addicted if you have to check your e-mail several times during the day and it’s not for business!

Did you know you can set your e-mail to check itself?

I just found out that with many email programs including Outlook Express you can set your email program to check at whatever interval you set it for – you can check every five minutes, every 30 mintues, every hour or twice a day (I highly recommend the latter – which is much more efficient – and you will be amazed at how much more you can accomplish in a days time.

Here’s how you do it with Outlook Express: open OE and go to Tools, Options and choose the General tab. Look for the Send/Receive Messages section.

Choose "Check for new messages every (blank) minutes." Check that box and then choose how often you want your e-mail to be checked. Also, directly right below that option, there is an option that if your computer isn't connected to the Internet at the selected time you chose to check email, you may choose to have your computer not connect you, connect only when working offline or connect even when you are working offline.

If you use a program other than Outlook Express to manage your email, do a little research to find out if this option is available to you.

This is a more efficient way to stay “connected” to your inbox without being dependent on it.

Wishing you a great day... and more!

Heidi

Heidi Richards, Founder & Chief Visionary The WECAI Network - “Helping Women Do Business on and off the WEB™”
Our blogs: WE Magazine for Women and VirtualWomansDay

To download a Complimentary Copy of our latest eBook “GET IT WRITE,” visit - http://wecai.org/wwps/html/getitwrite.html

1 comment:

Teresa M said...

Heidi,

Yes, I can say that I am pretty connected with my email too! It is a very important form of communication in this technological age, however, I do agree that there should be "set" times to look and not just look every 5 minutes. I was not aware that you could set the OE to different intervals to read the emails. I will have to look further in that. However, I am pretty good about doing a project without checking my email (unless the project involves receiving confirmations from others). Sometimes the project relies on the importance of receiving emails from others. I am not sure if I wrote this before however, I believe one of the reasons email has gotten so important is it is a written account of details where a phone call doesn't. To fix that, I have done both before...called someone and followed up with an email. Thanks Heidi for this interesting topic.